Wondering how your organisation can get involved? Watch the short video below, and for group inductions at Employers, please scroll further down this page for more information.
Become a STEM Ambassador
Throughout the UK, STEM Ambassadors enthuse and inspire young people in STEM subjects, and open the doors to a world of opportunity that begins with STEM.
Through actively engaging with pupils and supporting teachers in the classroom, STEM Ambassadors provide living, working examples of how young people can apply STEM subjects to carve out interesting, successful and rewarding careers.
Coming from a broad range of sectors, our STEM Ambassadors are engaging, enthusiastic, dedicated and committed, and continually change young people's perceptions about STEM Careers and about the types of people who work in those roles.
Becoming a STEM Ambassador is a three-stage process:-
- Registration, Disclosure and Training
- All STEM Ambassadors must register online- To register, click HERE
- Please make sure when registering you select the first button "Register as a STEM Ambassador volunteer", as shown in the image below.
- Next, its important you upload a photo of yourself to your profile picture. The photo will be needed for later to make you up an ID card.
- Once your registration has been processed, you will be invited to attend a session where you can complete a Disclosure check & receive training.
- In order to become an authorised STEM Ambassador you must undertake a Criminal Record check by Disclosure Scotland to ensure that you are suitable to work with children and young people.
- This is a PVG check (Protection of Vulnerable Groups) and if you already hold a PVG you will be required to complete an updated check.
The final requirement in becoming an Ambassador is to attend induction training (Please see Induction training below for dates of next sign up sessions). This ensures STEM Ambassadors are equipped with basic knowledge and information that will help to enhance their work with schools. Training covers; the purposes of the STEM Ambassadors Programme, information about schools, advice for working with pupils and teachers and an explanation about the role in supporting STEM Ambassadors.
Following registering and attending a session to go through Disclosure checks and receive training, you will receive an Ambassador badge and ID card.
INDUCTION DATES, VENUES, TIMES
Monthly Ambassador Induction sessions take place in Fife on the following dates during 2019 from 2pm-4pm at
SSERC, 2 Pitreavie Court, South Pitreavie Business Park, Dunfermline, FIFE, KY11 8UU.
****Confirmed dates for 2019****
- Friday 18th January 2019, 2pm-4pm
- Friday 15th February 2019, 2pm-4pm
- Friday 22nd March 2019, 2pm-4pm
- Friday 12th April 2019, 2pm-4pm
- Friday 17th May 2019, 2pm-4pm
- Friday 21st June 2019, 2pm-4pm
- Friday 19th July 2019, 2pm-4pm
- Friday 16th August 2019, 2pm-4pm
- Friday 20th September 2019, 2pm-4pm
- Friday 18th October 2019, 2pm-4pm
- Friday 15th November 2019, 2pm-4pm
- Friday 6th December 2019, 2pm-4pm
Monthly Ambassador Induction sessions take place in Edinburgh on the following dates in 2019 from 5pm-7pm at
Edinburgh College in Room 8, 1st Floor, College Sports Centre, Sighthill Campus, Bankhead Avenue, Edinburgh, EH11 4DE (free parking at the front entrance of the building)
Edinburgh College 2019 dates:
- Wednesday 23rd January 2019, 5pm-7pm
- Wednesday 20th February 2019, 5pm-7pm
- Wednesday 27th March 2019, 5pm-7pm
- Wednesday 24th April 2019, 5pm-7pm
- Wednesday 29th May 2019, 5pm-7pm
- Wednesday 26th June 2019 5pm-7pm
- Wednesday 24th July 2019, 5pm-7pm
- Wednesday 28th August 2019, 5pm-7pm
- Wednesday 25th September 2019, 5pm-7pm
- Wednesday 23rd October 2019, 5pm-7pm
- Wednesday 27th November 2019, 5pm-7pm
- Wednesday 11th December 2019, 5pm-7pm
Confirmed Induction Dates for 2019:-
- Monday 11th February 2019, 2pm-4pm
- Monday 8th April 2019, 2pm-4pm
- Monday 10th June 2019, 2pm-4pm
- Monday 19th August 2019, 2pm-4pm
- Monday 21st October 2019, 2pm-4pm
- Monday 9th December 2019, 2pm-4pm
Dundee University- School of Life Sciences
Building no 49
Murray Lecture Room, School of Life Sciences, Discovery Centre.
The entrance to Building 49 is marked A.
There is a pay and display car park labelled Dundee City Council Car Park between Old Hawkhill and Hawkhill. Dundee Uni 2019 dates
2018 Monthly Ambassador Induction sessions take place in Abertay University on the following dates from 2pm-4pm in Seminar Room, Graduate School.
****Provisional dates (still TBC)****
Monday 14th January 2019, 2pm-4pm
Monday 11th March 2019, 2pm-4pm
Monday 13th May 2019, 2pm-4pm
- The nearest car park is West Bell Streethttp://carparkmaps.co.uk/carparks/view/10449 2 min walk from the university and reasonably priced.
- The Graduate School Seminar Room is situated within the Graduate School (Rm 3515) on the 3 rd floor of the Kydd Building (main building situated on Bell Street – through the revolving doors). Once inside take the lift or stairs to the third floor and follow the corridor along to the Graduate School – it is emblazoned on outside on the main well and on the glass so hard to miss.
- Kydd Building, Bell St, Dundee DD1 1HG
Q. What documents will I need to bring to induction?
- If you have a passport, please bring this along with you.
- If you have a driver's licence, please bring this with you (paper or photocard).
- If you have uploaded a photo to your profile picture when registering, you no longer need to bring a photo of yourself with you to induction.
NB. For us to verify your details, Disclosure Scotland require at least 1 piece of Photographic ID and 2 pieces of ID with your name and current address on it.
However to complete the PVG form, if you have a passport and a driving licence BOTH are required for the form (although only 1 is needed for us to verify your details
- (A passport counts as the 1 piece of photographic ID as does a photocard driving licence)
- (A photocard driving licence with your current address on it, counts as 1 piece of photographic ID and 1 piece of address ID)
Q. I don't have a Passport or Driving licence- what should I do?:-
- Please bring a copy of your birth certificate, and you will need one other piece of photographic ID, and 2 items with your name and current address on it.
Q. Do I need anything else to complete the PVG form?:-
- You will need to know your National Insurance Number.
- Disclosure Scotland require a 5 year address history for the form. (You don't need any evidence of residence at previous addresses) For each address, you will need to state the month and year resident at the address
Q. I already have a PVG. Do I still need to complete another?
A. If you already hold a PVG, please bring your certificate with you. You will complete a much shorter form (PVG update), and will need your 16 Digit membership number from your existing PVG certificate.
Q. I have a Disclosure, but I'm not sure what type. I'm not sure if it was a PVG?
A. The PVG scheme is now used for all Volunteering across Scotland. If you are unsure, please call Disclosure Scotland on 03000 200 040 and they will be able to tell you if you have a PVG or not. If you do have a PVG, ask for your 16 Digit PVG Membership number and take a note of this.
- STEM Ambassadors provide a vital link between employers and the workforce of tomorrow.
- More than 3000 employers already support the UK's STEM Ambassador programme.
- From film studios to wind farms and space programmes to pharmaceuticals, thousands of employers the world rely upon people in Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics (STEM) skills.
- STEM subjects underpin innovation, creativity- and prosperity. The STEM Ambassadors Programme shows young people the dazzling array of careers that is open to them if they pursue STEM subjects- and organisations like yours are essential for helping us to bring STEM careers to life.
- 85% of teachers believe that STEM Ambassadors directly improve pupil engagement in STEM.
- The STEM Ambassadors Programme is funded by UK Government. Empoyers do not have to pay to participate. As a result, over 3000 employers in every part of the UK already encourage their employees to become STEM Ambassadors as part of their education outreach and CSR activities.
- If you would like more information about employees becoming STEM Ambassadors, please get in touch. STEM East carry out In House inductions with employers subject to a minimum of 10 staff.
"Raising aspirations of young people in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics"
© Copyright 2018 STEM East. All rights reserved
Registered in Scotland SC500529