Are you an employer? Wondering how your organisation can get involved? Click the button below for our dedicated Employers page
Become a STEM Ambassador
Throughout the UK, STEM Ambassadors enthuse and inspire young people in STEM subjects, and open the doors to a world of opportunity that begins with STEM.
Through actively engaging with pupils and supporting teachers in the classroom, STEM Ambassadors provide living, working examples of how young people can apply STEM subjects to carve out interesting, successful and rewarding careers.
Coming from a broad range of sectors, our STEM Ambassadors are engaging, enthusiastic, dedicated and committed, and continually change young people's perceptions about STEM Careers and about the types of people who work in those roles.
Becoming a STEM Ambassador is a three-stage process:-
- Registration, Disclosure and Training
- All STEM Ambassadors must register online- To register, click HERE
- Please make sure when registering you select the first button "Register as a STEM Ambassador volunteer", as shown in the image below.
- Next, its important you upload a photo of yourself to your profile picture. The photo will be needed for later to make you up an ID card.
- Once your registration has been processed, you will be invited to attend a session where you can complete a Disclosure check & receive training.
- In order to become an authorised STEM Ambassador you must undertake a Criminal Record check by Disclosure Scotland to ensure that you are suitable to work with children and young people.
- This is a PVG check (Protection of Vulnerable Groups) and if you already hold a PVG you will be required to complete an updated check.
The final requirement in becoming a STEM Ambassador is to attend an initial training session (Please see training dates below). This ensures STEM Ambassadors are equipped with basic knowledge and skills that will help to enhance their work with schools.
Initial Training covers: Completion of PVG Disclosure form and ID checks. We recap on the 7 online modules that should be completed prior to the training session.
We focus on the critical areas of the STEM Ambassador role, namely communication and listening skills, employability skills (in relation to STEM subjects) and help and advice on delivering Powerful Practical sessions.
Following your registration and attendance at a training session, you will receive your STEM Ambassador badge and ID card.
ONLINE INDUCTION MODULES
Before attending a face to face session, we ask all newly registered STEM Ambassadors to complete the 7 short online induction modules.
The modules take around 30-35 mins to complete and are designed to equip you with all the information you need to know and background to the programme.
To access the online induction modules please click HERE
TRAINING DATES, VENUES, TIMES
Monthly Ambassador Training sessions take place in Edinburgh on the following dates in 2019 from 5pm-7pm at
Edinburgh College in Room 8, 1st Floor, College Sports Centre, Sighthill Campus, Bankhead Avenue, Edinburgh, EH11 4DE (free parking at the front entrance of the building)
Edinburgh College 2019 dates:
- Wednesday 23rd October 2019, 5pm-7pm+++++NOW FULL+++++
- Wednesday 27th November 2019, 5pm-7pm
- Wednesday 11th December 2019, 5pm-7pm
Confirmed Training Dates for 2019:-
- Monday 21st October 2019, 2pm-4pm
- Monday 9th December 2019, 2pm-4pm
Dundee University- School of Life Sciences
Building no 49
Murray Lecture Room, School of Life Sciences, Discovery Centre.
The entrance to Building 49 is marked A.
There is a pay and display car park labelled Dundee City Council Car Park between Old Hawkhill and Hawkhill. Dundee Uni 2019 dates
2019 Monthly Ambassador Training sessions take place in Abertay University on the following dates from 2pm-4pm.
- Monday 4th November 2019, 2pm-4pm - Room 3512.2 Kydd Building (main building situated on Bell Street- through the revolving doors). Once inside the building take the lift of stairs to the 3rd floor and follow the corridor along to the Graduate school.
- The nearest car park is West Bell Streethttp://carparkmaps.co.uk/carparks/view/10449 2 min walk from the university and reasonably priced.
- Kydd Building, Bell St, Dundee DD1 1HG
Monthly Ambassador Training sessions take place in Fife on the following dates during 2019 from 2pm-4pm at
SSERC, 2 Pitreavie Court, South Pitreavie Business Park, Dunfermline, FIFE, KY11 8UU.
- Friday 18th October 2019, 2pm-4pm
- Friday 15th November 2019, 2pm-4pm
- Friday 6th December 2019, 2pm-4pm
Q. What documents will I need to bring to the session?
- If you have a passport, please bring this along with you.
- If you have a driver's licence, please bring this with you (paper or photocard).
- If you have uploaded a photo to your profile picture when registering, you no longer need to bring a photo of yourself with you to induction.
NB. For us to verify your details, Disclosure Scotland require at least 1 piece of Photographic ID and 2 pieces of ID with your name and current address on it.
However to complete the PVG form, if you have a passport and a driving licence BOTH are required for the form (although only 1 is needed for us to verify your details
- (A passport counts as the 1 piece of photographic ID as does a photocard driving licence)
- (A photocard driving licence with your current address on it, counts as 1 piece of photographic ID and 1 piece of address ID)
Q. I don't have a Passport or Driving licence- what should I do?:-
- Please bring a copy of your birth certificate, and you will need one other piece of photographic ID, and 2 items with your name and current address on it.
Q. Do I need anything else to complete the PVG form?:-
- You will need to know your National Insurance Number.
- Disclosure Scotland require a 5 year address history for the form. (You don't need any evidence of residence at previous addresses) For each address, you will need to state the month and year resident at the address
Q. I already have a PVG. Do I still need to complete another?
A. If you already hold a PVG, please bring your certificate with you. You will complete a much shorter form (PVG update), and will need your 16 Digit membership number from your existing PVG certificate.
Q. I have a Disclosure, but I'm not sure what type. I'm not sure if it was a PVG?
A. The PVG scheme is now used for all Volunteering across Scotland. If you are unsure, please call Disclosure Scotland on 03000 200 040 and they will be able to tell you if you have a PVG or not. If you do have a PVG, ask for your 16 Digit PVG Membership number and take a note of this.
"Raising aspirations of young people in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics"
© Copyright 2019 STEM East. All rights reserved
Registered in Scotland SC500529